Monday, June 17, 2013

The RAAM Time Zone

The RAAM Adventure Blog Part One
By Becky Marcelliano 

We're three days in, I think. To be honest, I've lost all track of time. In this whirlwind adventure the days turn into nights and the breakfasts seems like dinners. Gas station bathrooms are a miracle and coffee is a round- the-clock essential. A lot of thoughts have been rolling around in my head in a fast overstimulating fashion. Thoughts of time stations, judging length of pulls for our riders, and reading route books are the lifestyle. But deeper than that, RAAM is about being in the moment. The moments come fast and furious, just like life, but much more concentrated. I think what makes being in this RAAM moment so unique is that the rest of our worlds were left in Oceanside when we blasted out of there at seventeen past noon on Saturday

.  The real world is so far away that i cant even remember what day it is. Those trivial life details don't matter.  What matters is where I put my reflective vest, is my coffee mug full, and did I remember to put the racers bike on the correct car.  As crew, when we are in the follow vehicles, everything is about precision, intuition, and staying focused. There really is little room for error. We're in the zone... the zone called lets do everything humanly and strategically possible to break this record.  When we are sleeping its all intense sleeping... The time is then, even if it's 11 in the sunshiny morning. When we are in need of ice, it's sprinting into the mini mart for time is not abundant. When it's time to choose a song to blare over the speakers of the van, it's all about choosing one for that moment... Perhaps Living on a Prayer on the rollers or Free Fallin down a mountain pass.  Everything out here on RAAM is magnified in intensity of the now, for it takes many moments of sharp and energetic living in the present to make this record a reality. 

I guess I'm wondering about how to make sure I do this in my life realities of home.  Those realities are often cluttered with social norms, jobs, errands, and other such fog.  I find I often don't take the energy to fully embrace the now.  Am I doing my very best right now?  Am I embracing each moment as opportunity? Am I choosing the best song for the moment or simply turning on the radio?  It's tough to say, but overall I am thankful for this RAAM experience, for it has provided a different type of chaos than life reality... And sometimes our bodies and minds just need something different to find clarity and growth.  Plus, the views out here are not too shabby either.  

I'm pretty sure it's time for some dinner and gearing up for the night shift. Or is it morning? 

2 comments:

  1. WOW< your words are haunting! I dont know If I took a breath as I read your thoughts! I am in my real life at home, social norms errands Total FOG just going through the motions! wanting to feel what you are feeling with RAAM!!! Amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A week or so after crewing for my wife during RAAM 2008 she was killed by a drunk driver so I never really relished in the glow of the race. Through your blog I got to do it, Thanks

    ReplyDelete