Thursday, March 21, 2013

Adventures in Utah - Keely and My Intimate Yoga Experience


"However you are or aren't is perfect," Keely begins, "I ask my students, where do they go when it is hard? I remind them that whatever they are dealing with in life, will show up in yoga."

Warrior 1 has always been a difficult posture for me. Even more so than triangle, or standing bow pulling. I don't know why this is. It is a powerful, strong and intentional posture, one that you would think would I love. I flash back to my Warrior 1 as Keely talks, thinking about what my own struggle about this posture says about what I am dealing with in my life. 

"I quit teaching a while back," she continues, "because I thought someone else was better than me. I actually convinced myself that I couldn't teach. I had it that you were either born a yogi or not. I constantly compared myself to other teachers." 

Keely is an awesome yoga instructor. She creates community and oneness in her class, which I find unique. Hers is the first class I have ever taken where we did partner yoga. I have to admit, my heart sank a little when she informed us we would be doing this in class. Here I was, in the middle of the business district in Salt Lake City, standing in the Department of Environmental Quality building, a strange place in and of itself to be Zen, in a room full of strangers asked to share an intimate posture with my neighbor. 

I took a deep breath. Would she pair me with the stocky guy in the glasses to my right? I had a brief panic attack thinking about our bodies smashed together in any sort of downward facing dog or crouching tiger. (Is that even a yoga pose?) I know, so third grade of me, but my humanity was at play. You can't help but feel a little vulnerable in yoga, completely exposed. It is as if everyone can see you, all of you. It would be one thing to do partner yoga with Jeremy, that would be kind of fun, but a stranger? Yikes! I settled down when my inner voice reminded me that we were all here to partake in a peaceful, meditative experience. We, as a class, made an agreement simply by passing through the doorway that we would love, honor and cherish each other for the entire 65 minutes. What the hell I thought, when in Utah...

"So, what is your purpose in life?" I asked Keely after the class over an iced tea and Smart Water. 

"To love, to teach and to lead - to create connectedness. To get people in relationship together."

"Like the partner yoga?" I asked, "You certainly created connectedness there."

"Exactly!" she beamed. 

Next question. 

"If you had the attention of every woman on the planet, and we all spoke the same language, what would you say to us?"

She didn't even hesitate. "I would tell you all just how much I love you. I would remind you to be present to love and connection. What I want available for you is to know how loved and precious you are. Inside of love you could do anything."

Wow. I was blown away. How eloquent she sounded, like she had practiced that before. I am clear Keely knows who she is. It occurred in her sharing that her purpose in life was a conviction rather than just a bright trendy idea. I smiled. 

Yoga has been great for Keely. It kind of saved her from herself you could say. She used to be a bully and desire power over others. When I asked her where this came from, she shared that her mind is trapped with a re-occurring question of "do you approve of me?" It is what she and I refer to as an unanswerable question, something you will spend your life trying to prove or answer for yourself. She used to look for ways to prove to her self and to others that she was worth something and sometimes it came at the cost of others self-esteem. 

Yoga was a great place for Keely to feel free and discover herself. It wasn't yoga alone though, Keely has, over the years, done a series of personal development courses, one-on-one work with coaches and had other life experiences that have opened up this space for her to be her true self and love unconditionally. I admire her and the work she has done. You can tell she is free by being around her. 

Back to the yoga room. I know you are all interested in how the partner yoga ended up for me. Keely paired me with a young woman to my left, though I had talked myself into being open to whatever experience the Universe had in store for me. Keely began to direct the posture. My body slowly formed a backbend over my partner’s front bend. Hold one...two...three, breathe ...four...five...six, breathe...

My mind raced as I battled to relax. My inner dialogue went something like this: "Don't mess this up. Don't put too much weight on her. Am I leaning too much? Is this awkward for her? Am I doing this right? How long have we been in this posture? Should I just start coming out so I don't squish her? Has she done this before?" My neighbors laughing interrupted my thoughts. I couldn't help but smile. I thought about how we all handle intimacy differently. When faced with truly being with another human, looking at each other in the eye or back bending over one another, sharing an intimate moment, we are faced with what we ourselves are dealing with. It is a pure reflection of who we are and the space we are currently in. 

...seven...eight...nine...ten... breathe, hold...breathe, hold...release and reverse. 

We ended the posture; I smiled and thanked my beautiful partner. 

I acknowledged Keely after class for sharing her incredible talent as a teacher and for who she is in the world. My heart is filled with love when I see her. She hopes to one day open her own yoga studio in Salt Lake City and I know she will. 

Now to share with you how I know Keely. I coached her in a communication course. She is the one who introduced me to Carol Masheter, the oldest woman to summit the highest peak on each of the 7 continents, the reason I traveled 454 miles to the other side of my Rocky Mountains, the woman I came to interview. Her story is yet to come. 

But next, you will hear about another woman you will fall in love with. As if you had a choice. 

Keely and her husband in a partner yoga class.




No comments:

Post a Comment