Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Adventures of Utah - Women #1 Within A 10 Foot Radius

I promised myself and my current board of directors (yes I have appointed 10 women plus Jeremy as my official board of directors for my life) that I would take on this Utah trip as an amateur anthropologist/journalist/adventurer. I will be here not only to interview Carol Masheter (more to come on her) but as one entire inquiry into who women are, what we are up to, what we are dealing with and what our purpose is. SO, I committed to interact with every women within a 10 foot radius of myself whether it was a conversation or an intentional smile and eye contact, which is usually easily avoidable for most human beings. I started this yesterday at the airport. Here is what happened with Woman #1. 

Woman #1
I decided to go through the bridge security at DIA - after all, if I am going to start traveling the globe, I may as well get to know all aspects of my airport. I started my inquiry here. I listened attentively to what mother-daughter conversations were taking place, counted how many women were seemingly traveling alone (much like myself) and was interested in how many women I thought were from my home state and how many were venturing home to theirs. As I made it through security, I encountered my first opportunity to interact via conversation. 

A woman, mildly irritated, was barking questions into thin air regarding the location of B gates. Oh, she was barking at ME, I quickly realized. I explained I was headed to gate C and I thought the elevator (according to the sign) was headed in that direction and mentioned we could go together. She was in an obvious hurry. We stopped to wait for the doors.
 "I hate this airport" she went on in a crusty tone. 
"Oh I love it! I have traveld to a handful of airports in the past year and find this one to be my favorite. Very beautiful and easy to maneuver" I replied. 
"Oh it's not that, it is that the NEVER have enough people to get us through security in a timely mannor. PLUS the snow this morning made the trafic atrocious!" (remember this snow comment for the next part of the story)
I broke my own conversation ettiquite rule - make sure you are clear what they are saying before you reply. 
"Are you late for your flight?"
"YES!" (still angry and brows furrowed)
"Where are you from?" (we enter the elevator and I push button) 
"Pensylvania - push the button, we are going to the same place. We come out once per year. NEVER has this airport been so bad!"
She is obviously still upset at the airport, weird because the airport doesn't seem to have resentment for her at all. Inanamate objects...to be mad at them or not? 
We parted ways upon the opening of the elevator and stood in line for the train at different doors. Her grumpy energy wasn't really attractive. The train arrives, we all get in and I of course land RIGHT next to her again. Oh yes, the Universe didn't think I was done with the interaction. 
"So what were you doing here in Colorado?"
"Skiing. We went to Beaver Creek, Vail and Breckenridge. Your worst snow is our BEST snow. We love skiing out here."
Hmm, she was now starting to lighten up. Interesting. Let's hear more. 
"So you had fun? The snow has been really good lately. Better than the last two years for sure."
"Oh yes, couldn't have been any better. One of our best ski trips yet. Looking forward to coming back, we didn't want to leave."
Hmmm, I was confused, did she love the snow or hate the snow - I think she was even confused if you were to ask her. Yes, tormented by a love hate relationship for the white stuff. I found it funny. 
"Well, I am happy to hear you enjoy our mountains, we are sure fond of them."
Train stops and she starts grumbling again something under her breath about the time, the airport and the snow. Says goodbye and is on her way. 

Now I have time to process this conversation a bit. I was able for a breif momoent in time connect her to something that she was actually lit up by, that lightened a seemingly dark (in her mind) situation and how quickly she snapped back to her upset. I got that we are all dealing with and trying to manuver through our circumstances instead of truly just living in the moment and remember we are here for the entire experience. Nothing wrong with her way of being, it is actually part of our programming as humans, survival and trapped sometimes in our own experience of things. Stepping into a NEW way of thinking is actually a choice and a muscle we have to build.  I was newly inspired to be with whatever happens to me and take it in stride. I am also committed that my interactions with everyone make a difference and empower people - like even free them up from being consumed by their circumstances. 

This brings up one of my favorite Jeremy quotes - "don't let it ruin your day - whatever it is!"

Can't wait to tell you about woman #2 with whom I sat next to on the airplane. 



                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            


No comments:

Post a Comment