Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Adventures of Utah - Woman #2

Who will the Universe put within 10 feet next? I encountered a few women with whom I exchanged smiles or a few kind words, but I met Woman #2 on the airplane.

Whenever I travel alone, I always wonder who I will end up sitting next to. I am also embarrassed to admit that there have been flights in which I exchanged no words at all with my seat companion(s). But my new commitment led the Universe to plant Megan next to me.

Megan is a beautiful, kind woman, late 20's early 30's if I had to guess. We both settled in, bags under seats, ipods, pads and macs powered down, seat belt buckled and tray top locked before we began a conversation.

I think her opening line was - "these planes are small."
"At least it is a short trip," I returned. "Where are you going?"
"Dallas, for a Choral Director conference."
"A what?"
"Choral Director - like singing, like choirs," she explained.

I then learned that Megan lived in Boulder but was a choral director in Fort Collins for a group of 4th and 5th graders. That began the "I live in Fort Collins" and "we have a lot in common to talk about now" conversation.

We went on, she engaging me in her passion, her story - recent move from Chicago away from her entire family to pursue her Masters and live in this beautiful state with her husband. She was easy to listen to, had a brightness and calmness about her that puts people instantly at ease.

Soon thereafter, we shifted to my story. Of course, this was my opportunity to do an impromptu interview on my trip. She, as ALL the other women I have shared my project with, became instantly interested and was more than happy to participate in the "in-flight" interview. I couldn't have planned it better.

Megan shared that if she had the attention of EVERY woman on the planet she would tell them to do things for them now. Do things that they love, they are interested in and pursue things they really care about. So many women in her life end up with a life that is for others and she feels like they are missing out on what really fills their soul.

This was beautiful. I got the whole of it in that moment and realized I felt the exact same way. I imagined EVERY woman on the planet standing up and saying "I will pursue my dreams," resulting in a planet where love was present in EVERY interaction. It was cool.

Then comes my second favorite question - what is your life purpose? This has a tendency to stump women, they pause, but not Megan. She was connected to it I could tell.

Her purpose in life is to build a loving family with her husband. She moved out here to pursue her dreams and be in a beautiful environment and find the perfect place to raise her kids. She continued to explain what was next for her and her husband and I was moved. It is so nice to encounter people who have so much clarity for themselves. In a world where we can easily choose to deal with our identity and ego instead of being, just BEING our true selves, I was impressed.

We completed the conversation, each dove into our homework, me to finish my book by Carol and her to finish studying before the conference and dozed off at 36, 000 feet. She handed me her card after landing, smiled and said she would love to hear more about the project and I countered with that plus possibly getting together in Fort Collins sometime. We both agreed and she went on her way.

I was lit up. Simple conversation but from a completely new context. I find that when you have a genuine interest in what people are dealing with, what they are up to and who they are, your conversations are so much more powerful.

Here is to Megan and her sweet voice in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment